f0zKg0J4zFLYz-Yq0aednQVqREE Once Upon a Prologue: Top Ten Tuesday - #8: Books That Would Make Good Book Club Picks
Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - #8: Books That Would Make Good Book Club Picks




{ ++ } Hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish, this meme features a different theme every week, and hey, it's Tuesday - we've got the rest of the week ahead of us.  We all need a little fun, and who doesn't love the challenge of ranking their top 10 anything...especially when it comes to books?!  I know I do, hence why I thought it'd be fun to participate, and spice things up a little!






January 31: Top Ten Books I Think Would Make Great Book Club Picks


 { 1 } The Hunger Games trilogy.  Enough said, right?  But when I finished the first book, I remember going, "oh my god.  This is so gritty and scary because I COULD see this happening." 

{ 2 } Mercy by Jodi Picoult (or really, any of her books.)  But especially Mercy, because for me, it was one of Jodi's books that made me think the hardest about the subject the book revolved around: mercy killings.  I never really had an opinion on them before; Mercy made me ask myself why I hadn't, and if I could do what one of the characters had done, were it someone - I - loved.  Her books often come with discussion questions in the back so it's the perfect book club book. 

{ 3 } Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.  This is an incredibly moving book that makes you think about the time you have, and if you are living your life to the best of your ability, making the most of every day.  It's so powerful! 

{ 4 } The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  I actually haven't read this whole book yet, but I have seen the movie, and I cried several times.  I think if the book is anywhere as amazing as the movie that it asks some extremely difficult and still-relevant questions about race, equality, and understanding. 

{ 5 } Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult.  I'm adding Jodi in again because she writes about hot, relevant subjects, and with the recent bullying incidents around the country, I think Nineteen minutes is especially meaningful. 

{ 6 } After You by Julie Buxbaum.  I coveted this book for a long time before I got the chance to buy and read it, and it was worth the wait.  It's been a year or so since I read it but I remember thinking it was a great portrayal of how to deal with grief, and how to start again. 

{ 7 } Saving June by Hannah Harrington.  A YA contemporary that is one of the BEST and most realistic representations of grief I've come across in literature in awhile. 

{ 8 } If I Stay by Gayle Forman.  I started this book awhile back and didn't finish it, but only because I decided I wasn't in the right mood to read it.  It seems so poignant, really teaching about what a life is worth, and how to life one's life and what is worth living for. 
{ 9 } Just Listen by Sarah Dessen.  This book explores what it means to be "normal," to conform, or not to conform, and really makes you think about if you have the courage to be true to yourself or not. 

{ 10 } Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi.  I just finished this one, so it's on my mind.  It made a lot of sense to me, and like The Hunger games, made me think that the world Rossi proposes is POSSIBLE.  And thus, all the more scary. 

1 comments:

Melly said...

All books by Jodi Picoult should be in book clubs- she is AMAZING!

-Melly
www.BeautyandtheArmageddon.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thank you SO MUCH for visiting! I appreciate every comment, and in return, will try to visit a recent post of yours and comment. PLEASE leave a link back to your blog in the comment so I can come to your blog. And have a fabulous day!