f0zKg0J4zFLYz-Yq0aednQVqREE Once Upon a Prologue: Once Upon a Prologue Rating System
Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Once Upon a Prologue Rating System

Rating System


{ ++ } In the early winter of 2011, I started thinking that starred rating actually isn't all that fair.  I'm reading a couple of novellas here and there, and if I rate them 5 stars, that isn't necessarily fair, nor is rating them 3 stars, and then explaining that that is what I consider really good, for a novella (considering in a novella, you don't get to spend a lot of time with the characters.)   And what if over time, my idea of what constitutes a 4 or 5 star book changes?  How does that reflect on my earlier reviews?  Starred reviews started to feel more and more like pigeon-holing books, forcing them to fit into this box or that one.  As a blogger, I write honest reviews, but how honest is a certain star, when maybe just because I had some issues with it, another blogger might think it deserves 4 stars, instead of 3?  I know there are pros and cons for starred rating vs some rating vs no rating.  I didn't want to stop rating the books I read, so, I decided to try something different.

So this is the updated, 2012 rating system for the blog.  Tell me what you think!  Tell me if you love or hate it; obviously, this is about rating books fairly but also about drawing your, the readers, attention TO said books.

  • Cringe-worthy.  This book is not worth your time.  There were too many flaws for me to enjoy the story; the errors be it plot, grammar, etc overpowered the story.  
cringe
A posture or gesture of shrinking or recoiling.

  •  Shrug-worthy. I enjoyed this book, but I likely won't be re-reading it.  It was a good read but didn't make a big impression.  There was a good story being told, but it either didn't hold my attention, or I didn't connect with the characters.  

shrug
 A lifting of the shoulders to signal indifference.

  • Beam-worthy.  This one was really good!  I would rate it between "good" and "great," and I am liable to reread it eventually.  It had a few flaws but that didn't take away from my enjoyment of it. 
beam
to smile radiantly or happily.


  • Squee-worthy.  I will definitely reread this book, because it left a lasting impression on me, and had few flaws!  I am liable to wave this book in front of you to convince you to read it.  
squee (third-person singular simple present squees, present participle squeeing, simple past and past participle squeed)
(informal)
To squeal with excitement or delight.


  • Swoon-worthy.  One of the special books that affected me, emotionally, and won't ever be forgotten; this book was perfect.   I won't stop until I've converted at least one friend, possibly more, to reading this wonderful book. 
swoon
  1. A faint.
  2. An infatuation
 { ++ } For those who really know me (and those who are getting to know me!) the words "swoon" and "squee" are definitely part of my vocabulary.  I wanted a system that was familiar, very "me," a little fun without being too silly, and yet would somehow reflect my like or dislike of the book.  So I think I'm going to give this one a whirl!