f0zKg0J4zFLYz-Yq0aednQVqREE Once Upon a Prologue: Review: Scorch by Gina Damico
Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Review: Scorch by Gina Damico







Scorch by Gina Damico (Croak #2)

Expected publication: September 25, 2012 (Graphia)
Source: ARC from the publisher
Rating: Squee-worthy
Add it/Purchase: Goodreads | B&N | Amazon
Connect with the author: Website | Twitter

___

Sixteen-year-old Lex Bartleby is a teenage grim reaper with the bizarre ability to damn souls. That makes her pretty scary, even to fellow Grims. But after inadvertently transferring her ability to Zara, a murderous outlaw, Lex is a pariah in Croak, the little town she calls home.

To escape the townspeople’s wrath, she and her friends embark on a wild road trip to DeMyse. Though this sparkling desert oasis is full of luxuries and amusements, it feels like a prison to Lex. Her best chance at escape would be to stop Zara once and for all—but how can she do that from DeMyse, where the Grims seem mysteriously oblivious to Zara’s killing spree?











My Review




I was thrilled to return to the small, eccentric town of Croak to revisit my favorite characters: Lex, Driggs, Uncle Mort, and the various other townspeople.  Author Gina Damico's zany cast of characters kept me laughing as the plot moved along, through both triumphs and tragedy's.  Scorch is a deeper book than I originally thought it would be, because for Lex, the stakes are higher.  She's an outcast in Croak now that Zara, a fellow Reaper, is on the loose.  I thought in so many ways, Damico's second book was brilliant, because even though there were touches of her trademark humor and sarcasm, it's clear the characters have more to lose.  

Once again, the characters in Scorch are absolutely a joy to read about.  Each of them - down to the most minor of characters - comes alive under Damico's pen.  Despite the many dangers - Zara's string of murders, Lex's new, odd powers, and so much more - all the characters stayed true to themselves.  I loved the progression of Lex and Drigg's relationship, and how real it felt - perfectly awkward at times, serious or tender at others.  I laughed out loud as often as I gasped with fear for my favorites.  Gina Damico has a true talent at creating memorable characters.  

With bodies piling up and the mystery of Lex's powers growing stranger every day, no place is safe for Lex and her friends.  I read Scorch quickly because I HAD to know what happened next.  Damico kept me guessing and kept me interested!  I have a few mixed feelings on some of the plot twists, but overall, I enjoyed this one and will definitely be on the edge of my seat for the final book in the trilogy! 



Other books by this author:

Croak (Croak #1)
Untitled (Croak #3, 2013)

You're sure to fall for:

Undeadly by Michele Vail

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO MUCH for visiting! I appreciate every comment, and in return, will try to visit a recent post of yours and comment. PLEASE leave a link back to your blog in the comment so I can come to your blog. And have a fabulous day!