f0zKg0J4zFLYz-Yq0aednQVqREE Once Upon a Prologue: Top Ten Tuesday - #25: Top Ten Most Vivid Worlds/Settings In Books
Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - #25: Top Ten Most Vivid Worlds/Settings In Books







{ ++ } Hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish, this meme features a different theme every week, and hey, it's Tuesday - we've got the rest of the week ahead of us.  We all need a little fun, and who doesn't love the challenge of ranking their top 10 anything...especially when it comes to books?!  I know I do, hence why I thought it'd be fun to participate, and spice things up a little!











Top Ten Tuesday - July 24, 2012:
Top Ten Most Vivid Worlds/Settings In Books


{ 1 } Panem - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  Collins did an AMAZING job of establishing this version of America-that-was.  I instantly felt like I was THERE when I was reading this series - there watching the people in some districts struggle to survive, there with Gale, raging against the Capitol. 

{ 2 } Paris - Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.  I know Paris is a real place, but wow, did Perkins ever make me feel like I was exploring the city with Anna!  I already wanted to visit some day and now I know I definitely want to go there, to see what Anna saw!  Perkins makes Paris sound like the most alive, beautiful place on Earth!

{ 3 } The Academy - The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead.  This is a FANTASTIC series of books, and one of the series that led me back to YA novels.  It's set in the US, but inhabited by the Moroi and the dhampirs, the "good" vamps.  I'd never read anything like this, and Richelle Mead absolutely made me FALL IN LOVE with this series! Seriously, if you haven't read it...there's an incredible friendship between two of the main characters, and not one, not two, but THREE swoon-worthy guys!  Plus LOTS of actions and danger.  

{ 4 } Ravka - Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo.  Leigh brought her world to life in a flourishing, vivid, heart-felt way.  Not only did she make me feel that I was RIGHT THERE with Alina, I also completely became immersed in Ravka and the culture.  The Russian-inspired Ravka felt so achingly real! 

{ 5 } Adarlan  - Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.   This setting came alive, as well as did Endovier's mines, where Celaena was forced into manual labor.  I felt like I was there with her, my eyes open wide at the wonder and the court politics of Adarlan, where almost nothing is as it seems in the Glass castle!

{ 6 } Hogwarts - The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.  Though it's techincally IN England, Hogwarts was (and is!) a magical, mythical entity and almost world all to itself.  A haven for wizards and some Muggles alike, this world-within-a-world was home to Harry, and for the time that I read the series, myself, too.  

{ 7 } The Wheel of Time series - Robert Jordan.  There are so many different places that we visit in this series, so many vivid, lush settings, like the land of the Aiel, for example.  I can't even pick a favorite.  Robert Jordan was such a gifted storyteller.  I can't even TELL y'all the number of times I've laughed at Mat or cried at something tragic, or just teared up at a beautifully written scene.  I can't believe the series is almost over.  RIP, RJ. 
{ 8 } Brittany - Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers.  This book is one of my favorites of this year so far because EVERYTHING about it is completely gorgeous - from the setting at court, to Ismae's convent, to the romance -  subtle yet beautiful - to the thriving sense of turmoil throughout the book. 

{ 9 } The Academy - The Covenant Series by Jennifer L Armentrout.  The Academy is here in the US, so no made up lands here, yet it FEELS like its set apart from anything and anyone. It helps that Jennifer populates her stories with such amazing, realistic characters, too! 

{ 1 0 } The Trylle community - Switched by Amanda Hocking.  This is so far the only book I've read in this series, though I definitely intend to continue.  I feel like Hocking did a fantastic job of establishing, like with HP above, a "world within a world," a secret community that thrives hidden in plain site.  The Trylle customs are so fascinating, and I can't wait to find out more about them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO MUCH for visiting! I appreciate every comment, and in return, will try to visit a recent post of yours and comment. PLEASE leave a link back to your blog in the comment so I can come to your blog. And have a fabulous day!