f0zKg0J4zFLYz-Yq0aednQVqREE Once Upon a Prologue: Teaser Tuesday - #4 + Top Ten Tuesday - #1
Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Teaser Tuesday - #4 + Top Ten Tuesday - #1

{ ++ } Miz B over at Should Be Reading hosts this weekly meme, where us book lovers get a chance to spotlight our currently-reading and basically...do a little teasing.  : ) The rules are simple:

  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page  (Well to be fair, I never said I would actually follow all the rules!)
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other participants can add the book to their to-reads if they like your teaser


Ethel Lynn hurried forward to pass more secrets across enemy lines.

Staring her into silence, Theodora said, “Birdie’s moved on. Last I heard she’s in Miami.”

To accent her words, she withdrew her pistol and cocked the hammer.  Aiming for his nose, she added, “Now, why don’t you skedaddle before I send you a sight farther than Florida?”

- page 297

Petty thief Birdie Kaminsky has arrived in Liberty, Ohio to steal a treasure hidden since the Civil War. She’s in possession of a charming clue passed down in her family for generations: Liberty safeguards the cherished heart.

The beautiful thief wants to go straight. She secretly admires the clue’s author, freedwoman Justice Postell, who rose above the horrors of slavery to build a new life in Ohio. According to family lore, Justice left South Carolina at the dawn of the Civil War. If the stories are true, Justice bore a child with Lucas. Some of those black relatives might still live in town. Birdie can’t help but wonder if she’s found one—Liberty’s feisty matriarch, Theodora Hendricks, who packs a pistol and heartwarming stories about Justice. Birdie doesn’t know that an investigative reporter who has arrived in town will trip her up—as will her conscience when she begins to wonder if it’s possible to start a new life with stolen riches. Yet with each new clue she unearths, Birdie begins to discover a family history more precious than gems, a tradition of love richer than she could imagine.


{ ++ } Hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish, this meme features a different theme every week, and hey, it's Tuesday - we've got the rest of the week ahead of us.  We all need a little fun, and who doesn't love the challenge of ranking their top 10? 

{ ++ } This week's is a little different, because it's their blog's 1 year anniversary!  *throws confetti*  This week's top 10 is: Top Ten reasons why I love book blogging!

  { 1 } I get to be a total book geek and you wonderful people get it.  

{ 2 } I'm never without book recommendations!  Someone here is always reading/reviewing something new and great that I know I just have to read.

{ 3 } I'm making new connections, and hopefully, friends.  And c'mon, like anyone can ever have too many friends?!

{ 4 } I'm a writer, so composing my reviews is a really good exercise for me.  It makes me stop and think about my audience, and about what I want to carry across to my readers.

{ 5 } A lot of the books I see reviewed by my fellow bloggers are ones I might not have given a chance (ie a not so great cover, or a YA book I might have passed over, or a romance novel that is actually really really good, etc.)  Ya'll are teaching me to step outside my comfort zones, in some ways.

{ 6 } This is kinda like #1 but a little different... I get to bond with people over books.  I only have a few friends who actually want to read, so for me, seeing so many people here coming together, over books, is truly truly heart-warming.

{ 7 } Hiiiii, I get to find out all sorts of book-to-movie casting news, author announcements, and basically finally stay updated on the world of book news.

{ 8 } Blogger is a great place, I've discovered, to find out all about new authors!  

{ 9 } I simply love doing something that is both fun and productive, and writing up a review or a meme here gives me a few minutes to kinda disconnect from stress and work and life, and just be this girl who loves books.  : )

{ 10 } The joy I get from seeing new comments on a blog post of mine, knowing that I am interacting with people, seeing a good review of a book I have enjoyed or recommended!

 { ++ } Ok that's it for this week.  Look for my review of Treasure Me tomorrow!