f0zKg0J4zFLYz-Yq0aednQVqREE Once Upon a Prologue: Top Ten Tuesday - #12: The Soundtrack of a Story
Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - #12: The Soundtrack of a Story







{ ++ } Hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish, this meme features a different theme every week, and hey, it's Tuesday - we've got the rest of the week ahead of us.  We all need a little fun, and who doesn't love the challenge of ranking their top 10 anything...especially when it comes to books?!  I know I do, hence why I thought it'd be fun to participate, and spice things up a little!




February 28: Top Ten Books I'd Give A Theme Song To


{ 1 } Saving June by Hannah Harrington | theme song: "Over You" by Miranda Lambert.  I had this song on repeat while I read this book, and between Harper (the main character) and Miranda Lambert, I fell right into the story.  "Over You" is such a beautiful song, and to me, the lyrics could be that of someone who has lost a loved one, a romantic partner, etc.  They really spoke to me and made Harper's grief even more poignant.  Now, when I see Saving June, which was an amazing, cathartic read in a book store, I think of "Over You," and because the book and the song are all tangled together, I smile, and I think of: "but you went away, how dare you, I miss you.  They say I'll be okay, but I'm not going to ever get over you."

{ 2 } Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins | theme song:"Gravity" by Sara Bareilles.  It's a heavy song all about the highs and lows of love, and someone trying NOT to fall in love.  It's one of the most heartrendingly beautiful songs I've ever heard and in my opinion it fits Anna and St Clair as they traveled friendship and slowly, beautifully, more. 

{ 3 } Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver | theme song: "Steer" by Missy Higgins.  This song makes me think of Sam and how she grows SO so much as a person throughout this book, and how she learns, at a high price, how to live her own life. 

{ 4 } The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead | theme song: "We Found Each Other in the Dark" by City & Colour.  I know using a whole series is cheating but the underlying love for me with these books, aside from the heart-pounding plot and awesome characters, was Rose and Dimitri.  So since they are present in each novel and are definitely a factor, I'm cheating!  To me this song is so THEM.  "Cause we're gonna live, we're gonna live, we're gonna live at last."  They went through so much to be together, and because of it were so genuine and amazing.  

{ 5 } Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins | theme song: "Someone Like You" by Adele .  So I'm pretty sure I can't do a Top Ten without mentioning THG at this point.  Mockingjay was terrible.  And amazing.  And ripped me apart.  And I can't think of Mockingjay without thinking of Gale and Katniss, and if there is anyone out there who feels the same way about them as I do (I'm in the minority, but I'm used to it!) this song will, I think, make sense. I can see them, a few years down the road, this song playing.  Maybe I'm in my own little denial world, but...that's okay when it comes to this pairing - aka my heart. 

{ 6 } The Catastrophic History of You & Me by Jess Rothenberg | theme song: "The Light" Sara Bareilles.  I know this is a little cheesy what with lyrics like "I'll follow you into the light" but this song makes me think of Brie, her journey, and her feelings for Patrick (both when she denies them, and when she doesn't).  (Side note: this book was AMAZING.)

{ 6 } Hourglass by Myra McEntire | theme song: "Hold You In My Arms" by Ray LaMontagne.  Ahh, Emerson and Michael.  They were a bit tormented, a LOT hot, and very emotional and poignant.  This song says it all. 

{ 7 } Delirium by Lauren Oliver | theme song: "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri.  First off, this is one of the most perfect songs about love EVER EVER EVER.  Secondly, it really speaks to me, when I think of Lena and Alex, especially "I will be brave, I will not let anyone take away what's standing in front of me." 

{ 8 } Take This Regret by Amy Lichtenhan | theme song: "As You Turn Away" by Lady Antebellum.  I started playing this song while reading the prologue.  It played almost nonstop throughout the rest of the book.  Take This Regret reached in and got ahold of my heart and did not let go.  It's been months since I finished it and I STILL think about the characters sometimes.  Amy did an amazing job of bringing them and their situation to life, and asking: could you trust or love again someone who had betrayed you?



Okay so that's all I could think of.  I know, I know, I'm a HUGE music geek and I can't get to ten.  In my defense, I'm super tired.  BUT I want to see for sure what y'all came up with, so link me!  I'll visit your blog in return.  : )

3 comments:

Mimi Valentine said...

Aww, that's definitely okay, Molli -- you did so much better than I would've! I probably wouldn't even be able to get to five LOL x) I'm one of those girls who knows the song but doesn't know the name so I would've been googling for forever to make a list as awesome as yours!

And I absolutely LOVE your choices, Molli! I love Adele and I love the Hunger Games so of course the two of them go amazing together! ;) And your justification for the Delirium song is so perfect -- that just reminded me that Pandemonium came out today! I'm really, really excited to read it! :)

Mickey said...

I think I've only heard one or two of your songs but I want to hear them all now!! Thanks for sharing your list with me!! :o)

Ninja Girl said...

Ahhhhhh!!!! "Hold You In My Arms" by Ray? Where nothing else quite made me want to pick up Hourglass, you've done it Molli. Anything that inspires a little Montagne soul has my stamp of appoval. Seriously, I think I'm going to have to pick up the book now :)
Hope you have a great one,
Ninja Girl

Post a Comment

Thank you SO MUCH for visiting! I appreciate every comment, and in return, will try to visit a recent post of yours and comment. PLEASE leave a link back to your blog in the comment so I can come to your blog. And have a fabulous day!