f0zKg0J4zFLYz-Yq0aednQVqREE Once Upon a Prologue: Top Ten Tuesday - #10: Top Ten Books that Broke My Heart
Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - #10: Top Ten Books that Broke My Heart






{ ++ } Hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish, this meme features a different theme every week, and hey, it's Tuesday - we've got the rest of the week ahead of us.  We all need a little fun, and who doesn't love the challenge of ranking their top 10 anything...especially when it comes to books?!  I know I do, hence why I thought it'd be fun to participate, and spice things up a little!




February 14: Top Ten Books That Broke Your Heart A Little


{ 1 } My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.  This one absolutely ripped my heart out.  I don't know what to say about it, other than if you're ever looking for an incredibly well-written, emotional read...maybe don't start with this one by Jodi, work your way up to it, because this. is. tough.  And amazing.  And difficult to read. 

{ 2 } Tempest by Julie Cross.  I know, you're thinking, "Molli, it's a TIME TRAVEL book.  About a guy.  How did it break your heart?"  Ah, but it's SO much more.  The interactions between Jackson and his family members GOT to me, especially between Jackson and a character I can't talk about (spoilers!) and the reason I can't mention that aspect of the book.  I formed an emotional attachment to and connection with this book and some parts hurt to read. 

{ 3 }The Dark Tower by Stephen King.  I adore a great many of his books.  I loved the Dark Tower series fiercely.  I visited his site so often I think my computer knew the way there on its own.  I read the first four books, then waited for the final three.  I will always swear that he was a very different man when he wrote the first four, than he was when he finished the series.  The last book was...emotional, haunting, devastating.  He made some choices I still don't agree with, but I've had to accept, because it is, after all, HIS story to tell.  One of the character deaths absolutely crushed me though, and I'm still not over it. 

{ 4 } Web of Dreams by V.C. Andrews.  I devoured all of the then-published VCA books when I was 14 and 15.  Leigh VanVoreen was not only one of my favorite characters, but also the reason I started roleplaying, and what led me to meet my best friend. Web of Dreams was the final novel in the Casteel family series and although it was not actually written by V.C. Andrews, for some reason, reading Leigh's book hurt me so much, because I was so invested in the series and in her story. 

{ 5 } Crusader by Sara Douglass.  I - I can't think about this one a lot without getting angry, hurt, and so forth.  Sara Douglass passed away last year, so I'm still kinda sad over that.  Her books got a bit "out there" as she kept writing, but they were still good. 

{ 6 } Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer.  The only thing I am going to say about this one is that I was disappointed not just in the resolution to the Edward/Bella/Jacob love triangle, but in the book overall.  I was resigned to how it would end when it came to the romance.  I just wanted more out of the story overall! 

{ 7 } Treason Keep by Jennifer Fallon.  This book made me hate a character I previously adored, for the way he treated another character, and in my humble opinion, the author made no efforts to redeem him.  (Note: she is still one of my favorite authors.  But...oy.) 

{ 8 } Twilight's Dawn by Anne Bishop.  I think (though it has not been said) that this is the last book in her Black Jewels trilogy.  I read only part of this one, but it was enough to have me crying my eyes out in the book section of Hastings.  I read the books with my best friend (or rather, she read them and then after she finished the first one, I started them) and they are...among my favorites.  I have SO MANY favorite moments.  Characters I love.  I love the writing, and the relationships.  In Twilight's Dawn, the author changes everything and I just...I can't. 

{ 9 } Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling.  I know, it's weird to see THIS HP book on here, right?  It broke my heart in both good and bad ways.  Bad because of a few character deaths, and good because well, it was the end!  The end of and EPIC series, and I wasn't really read to say goodbye!

{ 10 }  Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.  Oh my heart.  I can open this book to a few places and immediately start sobbing.  (Which is why I don't do that very often.)  THG has a hold on my heart, and Suzanne Collins killed one of my favorite characters in this book.  I...adored him.  I absolutely adored him.  And I have "dream casted" him as one of my favorite actors, and...I can't explain it.  He's one of my favorite fictional characters ever, and I spent the rest of Mockingjay after he died sobbing.  I still can't really think about it.  And...my pairing didn't happen.  *sighs and frowns*  I've accepted it, but I don't agree with it.  

16 comments:

Karen (Attack the Stacks) said...

I wonder if your Mockingjay character death that broke your heart is the same as mine. I was crushed when this particular character died. I literally kept hoping that s/he wasn't dead after all, but no dice.

Jenni Elyse said...

I don't think it's weird to see Deathly Hallows on your list at all. It broke my heart. I cried like a baby from the forest scene on and was weepy a lot of times before that. I still cry every time I read the Shell Cottage chapter.

Elizabeth Rodriguez said...

We share a few books, including Deadly Hallows! I didn't included the books in the Hunger Games trilogy, but I should have as I probably cried in all of them!

My Top Ten

kathy said...

Mockingjay hurts just thinking about it! That was the hardest death for me, too. (although I was happy how it turned out for Katniss) I cried a lot for Harry Potter, too. That was such a good series.

Amanda @ Letters Inside Out said...

I echo your sentiments about My Sister's Keeper. At that point I had only ever read The Pact by her...it was sad, but My Sister's Keeper left me crying so hard I was physically ill. :\

Lisbeth said...

Mockingjay; that book made me feel things that I never expected a book would make me feel. I didn't add it to my list though since I don't think it "broke" my heart, just toyed with it a bit

Megan @ Between the Lines said...

I agree with you 110% on Mockingjay. I was SO shocked with that character's death (well, both really...but yes the guy especially). I already know I'll be a blubbering mess in the first Hunger Games movie, I can only imagine what I'll be like if/when Mockingjay comes to theatres.

I also agree with you on Harry Potter. =(

Jade said...

I agree on HP, Mockingjay and Breaking Dawn. HP was just epic and I loved the book but I did tear up wen we lost some of my favorite characters. Mockingjay, though I loved the pairing, I just didn't care for the way this book went down or her killing off that person you mentioned, and the way he was killed with no thought or reflection, broke my heart. And BD, also pissed at the way this ended. Jacob deserved so much better than what he got. And the ending was majorly anti-climatic.

PS, one day I'd really like to get your thoughts on Gale, maybe you can guest post one day?

Love the post, I'll have to check out the other books on your list.

Molli said...

God, Mockingjay. All I have to do is LOOK at it on my bookshelf and I tear up. *sighs* And yes, a character death is one thing if it makes sense but to do that just to kill someone off...the male's death didn't even accomplish anything, considering Katniss was already set in her mission. Ugh.

P.S. That sounds GREAT. I'd love to attempt to succinctly express my love for Gale! :)

Molli said...

Oh, I've already decided I'll need a box of tissues per movie. :/ Because from what I've heard, all three books are going to be films.

Molli said...

I absolutely understand what you're saying. I usually don't get so emotional over books but all the ones on my list just...got to me!

Molli said...

The only time that's ever happened to me was with Mockingjay and Crusader that were on my list. With the latter, I was literally sick to my stomach from crying so hard. It was the cruelest character death - physically and emotionally - I've ever read. :/

Molli said...

Harry Potter was amazing! I really loved the books, and the last one was so emotional because I knew we'd never have another HP book. And it was just so beautifully written!

Molli said...

I'm glad you understand. : ) I got all tear-y during the forest scene. Eek.

Molli said...

I didn't start my THG crying until Catching Fire but I felt like all I DID while I read Mockingjay was cry!

Molli said...

I was the same way, with both of the major deaths but the one that bothered me the most was the male character who died. I could barely see, I was crying so much and I went through the entire rest of the book looking for his name just hoping it wasn't real. :/ :/

Post a Comment

Thank you SO MUCH for visiting! I appreciate every comment, and in return, will try to visit a recent post of yours and comment. PLEASE leave a link back to your blog in the comment so I can come to your blog. And have a fabulous day!